Thought I'd share a couple of things that happened to me overseas working. Not a lot of forum activity so what the heck.
Abu Dhabi desert (UAE) during the Ramadan. Muslims can not eat, drink, smoke, dip, or put anything in their bodies from dusk to dawn. Around dusk I was asked to come to the rig floor. I asked if there was a problem and they said no just please come. Temperature during the day was around 125F. Come to find out the caterers from base camp brought an enormous tray of fruits and liquids for the guys to hydrate after the long hot days. They said since I was a visitor there I had to eat something first before they could eat! I made it a habit after that to be sure I was present when the goodies showed up.

Downtown Dubai. I stuck my ATM card in a machine in front of a 50 story bank. Several men with the flowing head dresses on in line behind me. I did not know at the time but the machines there always said insufficient funds, kicked the card, and them spit the money out. I asked for $500 US (3500 Dirham) and it spit my card out. I thought dammit Diane, I'm half way around the world and you have f'ed my checking account up. I started walking down the street and all of a sudden a man comes running up to me and says "Sir, you forgot your money". The men would not touch the cash because it was not theirs! I had to walk back to the machine and get it. Think that would happen here?

Stavanger, Norway. Expensive as hell. $50 for a pizza and a pitcher of beer in 2001. And don't look at the Viking girls unless you have time to play!

Amsterdam, Netherlands. One of the coolest and most beautiful places in Europe. Legal weed and if you order a beer with breakfast it is no big deal.

Cheers, Ed