PDA

View Full Version : The latest from the Politicians - Senate Letter

KeySpike
07-21-2009, 04:58 AM
Please do not reply to this e-mail. If you need to send another message to Senator Nelson, please use the form on his Web site: http://billnelson.senate.gov/contact/index.cfm#email

Dear Mr. and Mrs. XXXXXX:

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns about the regulation of knives.

As you may know the possession, sale or manufacturing of a switchblade knife is carefully regulated in this country by the Federal Switchblade Act of 1958, under Title 15 of the United States Code (USC). In response to recent discussion about re-interpreting that code more widely, the Senate unanimously passed an amendment to H.R. 2892, the Department of Homeland Security Appropriations Act for 2010, with the intent to clarify some of the language of the Federal Switchblade Act.

The amendment would add language to 15 USC Section 1244 to include “a knife that contains a spring, detent, or other mechanism designed to create a bias toward closure of the blade and that requires exertion applied to the blade by hand, wrist, or arm to overcome the bias toward closure to assist in opening the knife.” H.R. 2892, the Department of Homeland Security Appropriations Act has been passed by both the House and Senate, and is currently in conference.

You can be sure that I will keep your thoughts in mind as this issue is considered by the Senate. I appreciate your letter. Your communications helps me serve you better.

Sincerely,
Senator Bill Nelson

P.S. From time to time, I compile electronic news briefs highlighting key issues and hot topics of particular importance to Floridians. If you'd like to receive these e-briefs, visit my Web site and sign up for them at http://billnelson.senate.gov/news/ebriefs.cfm

KeySpike
07-22-2009, 11:11 PM
I received the above letter from Senator Nelson's office in response to the letter that I sent him about the proposed knife auto knife legislation. I also got one from Senator Martinez.

Halsfield
07-23-2009, 07:14 PM
Could they write legislation in any more of a ridiculously unnatural language?

How hard is it to say: "Any knife that contains an assisted method of opening that allows the user to expose the knife blade, with a spring or other mechanical device, faster than possible with manual hand methods"

I never understood why they are worried about knives that open quickly, because that really isn't what makes a knife dangerous or deadly. If you carry a 6" blade in your pocket (very easy with today's pants styles) your opponent is going to be in a lot more trouble than if you were carrying an automatic opening 3" blade.

Anyone know why they care about automatic/assisted opening so much? Just normal hysteria or some reason I cannot see? The only other reason I could think of would be the safety reason because the knife could open in your pocket and injure the carrier , but they make safeties for that specific reason.