PDA

View Full Version : Do you store your Daltons open or closed?

AndysLeatherHouse
02-20-2009, 12:09 AM
what are opinions on this??violent1

Honch0
02-20-2009, 12:22 AM
I store them open, however the coil springs in modern autos can be stored closed with no ill affects. I just like the idea that the spring is not under any load, even if it doesn't have a significant benefit...Al

ilovekittens
02-20-2009, 12:34 AM
Sounds like this would make a good poll. I store mine open also because most are displayed. I've read over and over that for the more modern one's it doesn't really matter. I have a couple leaf spring auto's that don't open like they use too though. Bali-3 ILK

Woodstock
02-20-2009, 12:39 AM
I store mine closed because I keep them in a knife bag from benchmade. My plan though is to make a display case built into the wall of the basement to display them. Someday...

MarkK
02-20-2009, 06:19 AM
The general consensus over the years has been that storing coil spring autos closed will not damage or weaken the spring.

I store the majority of mine in bracelet boxes that are around 9 inches long. I store them open when I can, but close them if they won't fit in the box open. The bracelet boxes can be stacked and allow me to store more knives in a given space.

Woodstock
02-20-2009, 10:36 AM
Sure beats my original method of stacking them up in the cupboard like kindling. I do like the blue net in general to keep them safe and wouldn't mind getting more for my other non-dalton knives.

SSandshark1050
02-20-2009, 07:23 PM
I store all of my Daltons open, in sets of four inside foam padded pistol cases in my safe. Does that sound weird? ha ha ha

PIC
02-20-2009, 09:19 PM
always in the open position. sharp0

Komodo
02-21-2009, 07:19 AM
New or old, coil or leaf, all my knives are stored open.

It has absolutely NOTHING to do with preserving spring tension, they'll be fine either way, I just want to be able to see the whole knife.

There IS, one advantage to storing open. You can easily spot any changes in the blade finish, indicating the beginingstages of RUST!

I try to oil my knives on a regular basis, but living only 1/2 from the ocean, sometimes, certain blades, need extra care. Those knives, are in a display on my wall, easy to see daily. As soon as I see this one knife in perticular lose it's shine, (an Italian Damascus) I know I have to oil it, and the other ones, again. IF, they were stored closed, even though I saw them every day, by the time I got around to oiling them with the rest of my collection, they would already have been ruined. shock0

pete1958
02-22-2009, 12:58 AM
Markk, Where did you get your boxes? Safe space iis really at a premium around my house and that sounds like a good idea.

PS Do you still have the pet duck?

Jay

MarkK
02-22-2009, 11:03 AM
I got my last batch of boxes from mainstreetpackaging.com . I mostly use the 8x2x7/8 bracelet box. That is the same size the Dalton shop was using a few years back. They were a bit over $20/100. I've got over 650 Daltons plus a few pistols and other items in one gun safe safe. Even using the boxes, its getting a bit crowded.

Yes - we still have the duck. She stays out in the pond with the rest of the mallards most of the day, but she comes up in our back yard to eat.

mlawell
02-28-2009, 09:04 PM
I have been storing my lone Dalton closed in the net. is this not a good idea? also how often do the pros suggest oiling for safe keepers. I really only oil my users regularly, or as soon as I see some gunk, probly not often enough though. I think this IN climate is less condusive for rusty blades. Its not like I live by the ocean (damn)...

MarkK
02-28-2009, 09:27 PM
If you're keeping it as a non-user, anything that will protect the finish is OK. The mesh is OK, but a box or even an old sock is even better.

A lot of people swear by Ren Wax for long term storage, but I've found that RemOil works just fine.

ilovekittens
02-28-2009, 09:53 PM
I've never really had any problems with rust on the blade. I guess it depends on where you live. A light coat of oil isn't a bad idea to be safe. Whenever I come across a silicon moisture absorber packet I toss it in with my knives too. ILK

4mac
03-01-2009, 03:36 AM
My modest collection is stored in the open position.

daltonsonly
03-01-2009, 08:09 AM
I store all of mine open, but the safe room is getting thin, I like the idea of the display cases stacked up....that would help on the cube. I now have my 10 post for the knuck raffle! Just got a new computer (what a treat, the 02 model is going in the dumpster) and still have to install my camera software so I can post some pics.....its actually another old thing that should be upgraded, my iphone probably takes a better pic.

kk

tomeboi
03-01-2009, 12:36 PM
I store all mine closed in net and boxes. I usually rub the blade down with a little rem-oil before storing them, but I always wipe off the excess.

Iceman
03-01-2009, 01:11 PM
I store my modest collection in the open position in display cases.

ar15ed
03-01-2009, 01:34 PM
i store all of them open, and occasionally rotate them from the safe to a display case. i used to fool with italian stilettos, and i just got in the habit of leaving autos open.

infobound1
03-01-2009, 07:54 PM
For the last four to five years, all new Autos in my collection have been stored open. I have had cases of Al Mars and Paragons New unwrapped in the box from new and never opened. In the last two years I have been thinning out my collection to get rid of multiples of the same knife. I have never experienced weak or misfires in any auto I own due to storage and some of my Als Have not seen Daylight in 25 years. Come to think of it, in the hundreds of various brand automatics I have owned, I have never had a failure with an auto that was not in need of a cleaning from abuse or laziness!

Radar1
03-01-2009, 08:18 PM
I store them open so the blade variants are seen.

mlawell
03-01-2009, 09:00 PM
can leaving excess oil on the blade damage it? the reason I ask is this. I have an auto with the d2 steel and satin finish. when I got it I noticed a discolored spot(very small 2mm) and tried to get rid of it with no l luck. maybe just a factory flaw, but I am not the first owner. just thought I might try to pick yalls brains on this issue...
thanks in advance, matt

MEW
03-03-2009, 09:04 PM
I open mine up now and then to let them breathe.............Katana1

MarkK
03-03-2009, 09:56 PM
can leaving excess oil on the blade damage it? the reason I ask is this. I have an auto with the d2 steel and satin finish. when I got it I noticed a discolored spot(very small 2mm) and tried to get rid of it with no l luck. maybe just a factory flaw, but I am not the first owner. just thought I might try to pick yalls brains on this issue...
thanks in advance, matt

I've never heard of oil damaging a blade. I've had years of oiling guns leave a hard varnish like residue (WD 40 is particularly bad about this). The varnish is easily removed with a good solvent and some scrubbing with an old toothbrush. I mostly use RemOil now and have not noticed any varnish buildup.

4mac
03-03-2009, 10:12 PM
Open, in the netting.

STABU2
03-11-2009, 10:41 PM
I would have to agree, open for sure. I do have some old school Italians and that's what I was taught and they seen to hold their spring tension.

nate3993
03-13-2009, 12:28 AM
open-don't know of any knife that wouldn't benefit, or at least have ill effects, from storing it open

THE PUNISHER
03-13-2009, 09:59 PM
Open they look cool,and ready to grab.............sex0

emerald
03-18-2009, 12:23 PM
I store open in some foam.
Oiled of course.
These days I find myself whiping the with Tuf-cloth.
Balistol is what I use when there is no brass involved.
emerald

Kniferdude
03-23-2009, 12:41 PM
I store all my side openers and OTFs in the open position for the least amount of stress on the knife parts even though its probably minute and either protect them in the netting or in a display case. As far as preserving, I found thin dry oil works well and doesnt produce buildup. Most of my autos, I will coat the blades and let them hang drip dry, but with the linerlocks, friction folders, and fixed blades, Renaissance polish works best for me in full coverage of the knife. If they get boxed for more than 3 months, I will insert a silica gel pack to absorb all moister in the box.
Hey everyone, it sure is nice to be in with good company again.

MarkK
03-23-2009, 07:02 PM
The silica gel pack is a good idea.

Google found a number of sources. Here is one:

http://www.silicagelpackets.com/