PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Introduction Here

Professor Marc
10-08-2013, 12:38 PM
I joined this forum a while ago but failed to properly introduce myself. My apologies for that so here is a ‘little’ about myself and my venture into Daltons. I am 54 years young, a chemistry professor and consultant, and live in NC with my wife. I bought my first ‘switch blade’ when I was 14 years old in Junior High. It was one of those 1 inch key chain knives. The cops eventually took it when they searched me for pot one night, ahhh the 70s. Many years later while in Germany I bought a switchblade, as they called them back then, which you would know as a ‘side-opening automatic’. It was a Hubertus of quality I have not seen since. For those younger folks ‘switchblades’ or automatic knives have only been legal in the US in relatively recent times. Back then Europe was the only place you could get automatic knives. I was in Key West last year where I wandered into a knife shop. I was astounded to see automatics for sale. After a few minutes with the clerk I got caught up on the laws and since I had a few drinks ended up buying an automatic for $70 I would later identify as a Chinese knock-off of a Microtech Scarab. After a few days it broke. After this introduction back into automatics I began in diligence to research the huge internet presence. I was shocked you could actually buy these over the internet. In the beginning I started out like most I presume and bought a few cheaper out the front (OTF) double action automatics but was unsatisfied with quality. My quest for quality led me first to a Microtech Scarab 2005 from Adams, which I liked ok but still did not like the look. I also don’t like how hard you have to push the button to deploy double actions. In a double action the operator loads the spring with his thumb while he advances the button then the spring releases the blade. Thus the harder and faster a blade fires the harder it is to push button. In short a flawed design. Also lock-up (play/wobble) is poor on double actions ‘in general’ unless you find and pay the big bucks for say a sand shark which I read even they don’t have 100% lock-up. Due to these flaws in double action knives I was attracted to the Dalton single actions. I also liked the look of Daltons better than the Microtechs and the Daltons would seemingly offer a better lock-up by virtue of design. I also liked the idea of the sensitive release bar on the ASPs after struggling with the microtech release buttons. Problem was I could not find any Dalton single actions! I read good reviews on the Piranha Excalibur double action OTF which looked better (maybe) than the microtechs so I bought one. It is a bit easier to fire but still not satisfied with lock-up which is worse than Scarab. It was the Dalton single actions however I wanted and in particular the ‘elusive’ Border Patrol ASP. I could not find one so I ‘settled’ and bought a black ASP (‘mini’ Border Patrol) from Jay's Knives and an STC from Myswitchblade. The firing buttons are awesome on the ASPs and lock-up is good. The STC, once you get used them, is an incredible unique firing design and they lock up even better in my opinion than the ASPs and some have fantastic power. The Border Patrol ASP however still eluded me. Finally after looking ‘deep in the weeds’ of the Dalton private sector I found a big dealer who wanted to lighten up some of his Daltons (well only sort of as no ‘true’ Dalton collector ever ‘wants’ to sell one). I bought as a group a Splash, Patriot, and STC. Later I bought a Kilroy Pro II from PVK which is nice and locks up good but not real keen on the bottom loading bar that you need to keep clear of and the round notch in blade as part of lock-up mechanism. Then I finally found my Border Patrol black ASP (private source) which was all I could have hoped for. I recently sold the Splash and an STC clip point blade but have all the others. I am trying now to sell the microtech scarab (2005) and Piranha. I buy (mostly) and sell (rarely) and I am only interested in Dalton single action automatics. I like to buy several at a time if possible so if you have a good collection of single actions you need to lighten up please let me know. Right now I really would like to find a single action ASP with a Damascus blade. Not too keen on the colored handle Daltons which is why I unloaded the Splash. I like the Patriot I own however. Cool blade. Anyway that is me. Sorry for the long introduction and thanks for your patience. As my handle may suggest I like to be thorough. I look forward to buying and learning from the experts on this forum more about Daltons!

Marc

blevinsknives
10-08-2013, 03:59 PM
Excellent, and very thorough introduction indeed! Welcome to the Dalton Forum Professor. I wish you all the luck in your endeavor to find all of the single actions your heart desires. stpat$%*

Professor Marc
10-08-2013, 08:52 PM
Thanks Blevinsknives!

alexcapone
10-08-2013, 08:55 PM
One helluva first post Marc....~nice to meet you

eddiebob
10-08-2013, 08:59 PM
Welcome to the forums, Marc! Great intro. And yes you are right. The Dalton single action OTFs are in a class all their own. Good luck in the pursuit of your wish list. As a side, chemistry at LSU about killed me. Thankfully I only needed 12 hours of it. On the other hand physical metallurgy almost caused me to change my major, one of the most interesting subjects I ever studied. Ed B

Snapper
10-08-2013, 09:40 PM
~nice to meet youTOxxxpMarc. Great introduction and a great place to be if your into Dalton Knives.

Professor Marc
10-09-2013, 08:41 AM
Sorry to hear about your chemistry experience Ed. I have great respect for metallurgy. The 'spring question' still eludes me- whether they become weaker if you store knives in 'loaded' vs. 'open' position. Not an easy question to answer!

Looking forward to learning about Daltons from all you folks.

Marc

UltraReef
10-09-2013, 10:17 AM
Excellent introduction sir, glad to have you here! Good luck and have fun on your hunt for those elusive pieces you seek. :D

~nice to meet you to the xxxp

eddiebob
10-09-2013, 11:40 AM
Sorry to hear about your chemistry experience Ed. I have great respect for metallurgy. The 'spring question' still eludes me- whether they become weaker if you store knives in 'loaded' vs. 'open' position. Not an easy question to answer!

Looking forward to learning about Daltons from all you folks.

Marc

My thought on open or closed goes straight to the metallurgy of the coil spring itself. In theory there will be some deformation in physical properties over time if stored closed. But we are talking decades. As an experiment I loaded a clip for a .45 cal pistol 17 years ago. The spring in the magazine has been in compression all this time and still cycles without any problem. I store all my knives, coil and leaf spring, in the open or relaxed position.

ilovekittens
10-10-2013, 06:22 PM
Welcome Marc. Great Intro. Sounds like you've already scored some great Daltons. skull3 ILK

Professor Marc
10-11-2013, 06:36 AM
Ed,

See what you think about my conclusions based on my research:

1) If the right sized spring is used then dynamic or static compression (using or leaving knife loaded) will not lead to a weaker spring over time (crystal form stable)
2) If wrong size spring used (too long) then spring is over compressed. In this case weakening can occur over (long periods) of time or repeat usage (crystal form unstable)

My brother who is an ME had the right response; Do all the manufacturers give springs THIS much thought (like an ME) and ensure they use the correct spring size? Probably not. Bottom-line: It can’t hurt to store open but likely won’t make much difference.

eddiebob
10-11-2013, 08:45 PM
Yes, I do think your conclusions as well as your brothers statement are spot on. I doubt seriously near the attention, thought, and process needed goes into the manufacture of automatic knife springs. However, in the manufacturers defense I have never taken one of the coil springs and had it analyzed! Ed B