PDA

View Full Version : Dog food switcheroo?

cactus
04-08-2009, 11:47 PM
A little off topic but... I have medicine that I have to give my dog 2 times a day for awhile. It's in powder form, and they gave me caplets to put it in. Getting him to swallow a capsule with anything in it is the same odds of getting Mark to part with his san mai Assassin.
I mixed the powder in with some food, and being the Sheriff, as we call him, he detected the ruse and refused the sausage gravy!sick0

Any suggestions you've employeed for bait, or a different food to mask the bitterness?

He's started chemotherapy for a sarcoma attached to his esophagus...he's a super tough little dog that's endured a coyote attack in the pastviolent3, and an eye replacement from a cat laceration.
(The coyote and cat are no longer with us...)
Scott

Radar1
04-09-2009, 12:59 AM
Try putting the capsule in a 1 inch piece of hot dog. Cut several 1 inch pieces and give him 3 or 4 of them before you give him the one with the pill. Not a guarantee but it works with my dog who is very suspicious of anything medical. My dog gets excited when he gets the hotdog treats........usually dosen't notice the one with the pill in his excitment.

MarkK
04-09-2009, 06:27 AM
Another trick is to wrap the pill in a slice of cheese. That has worked on our Labs.

cactus
04-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Yep, tried the hotdog, cheese and peanut butter. He's only 15 lbs, so a capsule is pretty big for him.
You'd think someone would make a flavored capsule, or decent flavored tablet??!!

ilovekittens
04-09-2009, 09:04 PM
My dog still eats his own shit. All I have to do is act like I dropped a piece of food on the floor and he'll gobble it right up. I'm surprised any of the above methods have not worked.sick2ILK

cactus
04-09-2009, 09:29 PM
I know...I made a chicken gravy mix with Elk burger cooked and mixed in. I only have to give him 1/8th teaspoon 2x/day and he ate this batch tonight.

I can't believe he's that damn good at detecting the medicine. I tried the capsule again this afternoon, and was "DENIED!"

My other dog would eat it out of midair, but noooo, not the one that needs the medicine.
The battle continues...
Scott