PDA

View Full Version : Moving safe ?????

Shovelhead
11-11-2011, 07:39 PM
I need to move a safe up a flight of straight up steps. I can get some man power, but is there a better way to do it? The safe is a Liberty safe like 24 cu ft. It Weighs 500 lbs empty . I just dont want someone to get hurt .

any ideas or suggestions appreciated -- Thanks Jeff

MarkK
11-11-2011, 08:03 PM
Rent a refrigerator dolly with the strap. That provides better handholds and the wheels allow you to go up one tread at a time. Unless you can get at least 3 more guys, you may be better off enlisting the services of a professional safe mover.

Also - remove the door and lift separately if you can.

ilovekittens
11-11-2011, 08:34 PM
If you have the man power One method: I would suggest covering the steps with plywood, slap four moving men sliders on the four corners, tie two straps around the safe, have two people pulling from the top and two pushing from the bottom. That sucker will zip up the steps so quick it will take longer to tie the straps. 2nd Method: Most furniture dolly's are rated for around 500lb, any equipment rental place would have one, same deal strap the safe into the dolly, two boys pushin from the bottom two pulling up with the handles, no plywood necessary the dolly's have rollers on the back to climb stairs.

Me and the wife managed to move a 900lb Sturdy safe into the house. There was a lot of cussing and throwing shit, but she calmed down eventually and helped. ~zip itILK

ilovekittens
11-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Mark must be one of those speed typers cause his post wasn't there when I started mine. If your looking to hire professionals you just let me know what time you want me and my wife over, I think I watched enough youtube video's on safe moving to qualify. devil0ILK

pete1958
11-12-2011, 08:11 AM
I need to move a safe up a flight of straight up steps. I can get some man power, but is there a better way to do it? The safe is a Liberty safe like 24 cu ft. It Weighs 500 lbs empty . I just dont want someone to get hurt .

any ideas or suggestions appreciated -- Thanks Jeff

Jeff, I had the same problem 15 years ago. I called around to several moving companies and found one that did it for 100 bucks. The good thing was they had the right equipment (stair stepper dolly) and six stronge young guys to do it. They where bonded and insured too, so it was all on them. I didn't have to worry about anything.

Good luck and take care,

Jay

Shovelhead
11-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Thanks guys, I think I will call around & get some prices on having movers do it. If too high , I will do it myself.