PDA

View Full Version : Howdy!

topgun0728
06-17-2011, 01:06 PM
Just would like to introduce myself. I recently started collecting Daltons and it's heartwarming to find some familiar faces here. I am an avid collector of knives and I go after pretty much anything that calls out to me. Just a quick question to more seasoned collectors: does Rob Dalton use ATS-34 on all his knives? Has he tried using any other steel? If so, which one(s)? If not, why not? I know ATS-34 is a top-quality premium steel that also has an American counterpart, the 154CM.

carltond
06-20-2011, 07:09 PM
I have only known him to use ATS myself, but I can't swear to it.
I'm sure it's others on here that would know though.

Welcome to the forums by the way....Glad you made it...~hooker

topgun0728
06-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Thanks Carl! Yeah, I guess it's not surprising to find a knife maker sticking with the steel that he likes best, especially if it's a premium quality steel like ATS-34. Also, has anyone here actually used Daltons in the field and have stories to share? What are some of the bigger knives that Rob Dalton has made that may be more suitable for heavier duties?

Twizzler
07-01-2011, 10:18 PM
Hello Topgun welcome.

The mainstream answer is ATS 34.

OK lets speculate..............

I have always had my doubt the very early folder models were ATS 34. I would put my best guess with 440c on the Skinwalker and possibly some early AFOs. However, I have seen some AFOs stencled with ATS 34 on the blades so he my have or may not have done all of them in ATS 34.

The Skinwalker was not his first knife he made.

He started with making a few straight blades but that was after Rob Davidson. A knifemaker who made a few knives for Rob Dalton when he was a gun show knife dealer to sell at his table, invited Rob and taught him how to grind a blade. That dealer by the name of Rob Davidson, of Rocket Knives who still make knives today BTW, was using ATS 34 and 440c at that time. He made knives and a few swords for Rob Dalton using ATS 34 and if you do your research you may come across a pic of one of the Short Swords or the Katana pic with a close up of the Rocket Knives/ Dalton ATS 34 stamping. Hint- its stamped on the back side. So Rob Dalton got the know how from a very formidable maker who probably gave him the best start about heat treating doing it right.

That would be a fair speculation with stick with what you know..........ATS 34 or introduction to 440c.

Then Rob made his own straight blade unknown blade material and even had put an add out in the back of a magazine. The magazine name eludes me at this time but he was under the business name New Moon.

But I'm also speculating Rob might have gone to 440c because it is easier to machine once he was in a state of early production, it just makes sence and I would not barter off the possibility with out actually emailing the home base. I have not done this. So with all this speculation !!! My answer would be a guess not fact.

Then there was the later model Sleeve Dagger and the 2007 Combat Utility Stright blade I think were made out of 440c that was posted on the web site. The Combat Hooker straight blade was made of ATS 34.

There is also blade material that has been made of Damascus, Stamacus, and even one special blade made out of titanium. The Scraper was made of titanium but more of a blade shape complaince device not a blade.

Now here is the tricky part, Rob Davidson was not the only maker who made a few knives for the Daltons, that brings up the Gilbreth/ Daltons and I am uncertain what steel was used on those. Maybe the Gilbreth's blades are maked but I dont know.

If you find anything incorrect with what I said jump in and correct me or call Rob and get the long story not the short one and then correct me.

But the 1995-6 during AFO or after I can say ATS 34 with few exceptions listed.

Aaron

Snapper
08-07-2011, 02:25 AM
Welcome to Dalton Forums, stay a while and enjoy it.....MITUSA