PDA

View Full Version : New member - presentation

metropolitan6C
04-16-2011, 04:13 AM
Hello, i'am new to this forum, please first apologize my english language : i'am french, and far to practice english everyday ..
I'am not what a definition would call a real collector, i use my knives, only some fixed blades and specials ones are kept in as-new condition, i have not a 'thema', i don't follow a 'method' for acumulating, even if i have a 'love affair' with al mar knives for 20 years, fighting fix blades and mini-pocket knives.
I just love stuff with a 'soul', made with hearth and who scream authenticity, this hard to describe feeling when you hold something made not only with logic or business-plan in mind, but with human hands and eyes. Dalton's knives became a evidence for me these years, handling one the first time in Poland (!) from a collector. The more i learn, the more i discover models, the more i like Dalton's... i loved the way it age, the capacity to enhance patina, what japanese call 'wabu'. I like their 'rusticity' and their look, unconditionnaly. And it may have something to do with what i would call 'a pure american product', in realisation and design.
With knives, i do collect watches and more modestly cars, a very 'macho' trio i think, but it must have to do with metal, technique and traces of art in products... I have 2 kids, i excuse myself thinking not i all lost and one of the 2 may be interested one day in its dadd's choices :) I am here to learn and read more on these incredible knives. Thanks

pete1958
04-16-2011, 07:07 AM
Welcome Sir! We are happy to have you with us!

Jay

ilovekittens
04-16-2011, 10:21 AM
Great intro. Your English is much better than my French, which is nil. Welcome to the sickness. Do you remember what Dalton model you handled in Poland? 9<>?"*&ILK

metropolitan6C
04-16-2011, 07:27 PM
For the best of my souvenir and help from the reference photo section , i think an AFO with marroon insert, but i remember better that i was close to let it fall due to the surprising power of the action . . . The owner don't tell me a lot about this knife, with the smile of kind of a drug dealer, i lived a long time with the idea it was a strict custom hand made , esoterically made by an unknow bad guy with skills in machining metal. Sometimes first impression may stay ;)
The ground and the edge seemed 'violent' also, in these time of 'surgically clean' lines and ipod-high tech designs. I have nothing really against about other auto's, like industrial microtech or protech , but they don't speak the same language, may be more understood to the younger generation : here Dalton's are impossible to find. due to huge import taxes, youg people (with money) buy directly from USA by internet, mostly microtech and other 'tacticool' products, always black knives with supposed high end martian finish. 2 pieces of carbon fiber, bizarre name for the steel or hardening process, blue gray color for the parts, and it's done ! they simply don't even see the knife before opening theyr letter box. .

ar15ed
04-17-2011, 07:22 PM
welcome to the forum!

Moficky
05-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Bonjour, Metro. Welcome to the Forum. You may not have perfect command of the English language, but you are coming through loud and clear. Dalton knives are functional ART which, somehow, manage to uniquely reflect the SOUL of the maker. Keep on posting, mon frere. Dave. battle123s

carltond
05-14-2011, 08:04 PM
Long past due, but welcome to the forums. All the best to you in your stay!

saville
05-18-2011, 12:41 PM
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/saville_2008/welcome.jpg