PDA

View Full Version : Historic EDC

DM9
10-03-2010, 05:24 PM
Picked this up a few years ago--thought it might be of interest (it's definitely
off topic).
Was browsing an antique store that specialized in Civil War artifacts & memorabilia and saw this old knife--advertised as late 18th century, older than most of their other stuff. Picked it up & showed it to a buddy downstate who's had his own antique business for over 20 yrs.--he confirmed that it was old gentleman's dagger typical of the late colonial to early federalist period--a common sidearm for somebody in Washington's generation, more or less. I thought it was particularly cool that the sheath survived. Knife has dark horn
handle and brass pommel (which polished up pretty nicely).

ghost-57
11-04-2010, 09:47 PM
Cool find and useful artifact of early history. Have you left it as you found it or tried reconditioning it? Thanks for sharing.

Christopher

DM9
11-07-2010, 07:39 PM
Thanks for writing Christopher--it's in the same condition as it was in the
display case, except for some brass polish. Also put some leather conditioner on the sheath, which didn't change the appearance much but made it less brittle.
I've got a couple other offbeat/interesting knives I mean to post here--try to get to it this week. I also mean to post the Dalton's I've accumulated--definitely the center of gravity for this forum.