Thread: How to make your very own paper weight

Default How to make your very own paper weight

I had some time today so I headed to the garage to play and took a few pics along the way.

A couple people showed some interest in my homemade paper weights, hence the DIY project. I'm sure there are easier ways and harder ways to go about this, but this is what works for me, with the tools I have.

Material: 3/8" brass www.speedymetals.com

Tools: Permanent marker, center punch, cheap ass drill press, jig saw, vise, belt sander, dremel tool, various files, sand paper, steel wool

Step 1: Draw a paper weight design.

Step 2: Trace the design onto the brass plate and center punch the holes.

Step 3: Drill holes, I use a 7/8" bit after the inside has been sanded smooth 7/8" fits my fingers nicely. If you have plumpy fingers go with a 1" bit.

Step 4: Place brass plate in vise and use a jig saw with a metal bit to rough cut your design. The rougher you cut it the more filing and sanding you'll have to do.

All done with the rough cutting, now the fun part begins.

Step 5: Filing and Sanding and more sanding. I use my dremel with the little sanding drums wherever I can, but you still end up hand sanding everything eventually. This step can take forever and a day depending on how shiny you want to make it.

Step 6: Add a little something, something to lighten it up a little and make it purdy.

After all is said and done find a nice stack of papers to place your new weight on.
    Disclaimer: These are intended for novelty purposes only

Please feel free to ask questions or give advice. If something isn't clear please let me know. Post your own creations too and have fun. ILK
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ilovekittens; 09-21-2009 at 06:55 PM.

Thumbs up

Very cool!!! Nice paperweight!!
    http://www.stabberssteelconnection.c...ex.php?cPath=1

Got Siska's?

Lotsa Knives-No MoneyUSA

I love it!
    Ash

How did you chamfer the holes? Pretty cool paper weights!

Quote Originally Posted by Woodstock View Post
    How did you chamfer the holes?
    I used a larger drill bit and rounded the holes not going very deep, then just plugged a smaller drill bit right down the center. ILK

very nice paperweight..............
    and the road goes on forever.....