Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Investing in knife making Equipment....

Default Investing in knife making Equipment....

I am about to pull the trigger on a Burking 960-272 https://www.burrking.com/catalog/p-1...ts-accessories and a EvenHeat kiln . Lots of options for grinding etc .
    The EvenHeat https://evenheat-kiln.com/?p=knife-h...at-oven-models comes a bunch of ways too like solid state or digital etc.. Will be working from my garage/shop. What do you guys think ? Please share any suggestions or your thoughts on other options or equipment . Peter
    I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!

Sounds like top of the line equipment. Stuff isn't cheap either.
    -Earl

3. Default

There’s no doubt that the burr king is top of the line with numerous accessories for it. I went with a kmg to save a little money and it has been a very good and reliable grinder. I don’t use it for knife making just machine shop and fabrication work. The only thing I would do different would be to go with a 3hp motor instead of a 2hp.
    David

Thanks , I kind of thought the 1.5hp motor might bog down so I may kick up the hp . Kalamazoo grinders is the other I saw which you call KMG I believe.
    Kind regards , Peter
    Quote Originally Posted by djl View Post
    There’s no doubt that the burr king is top of the line with numerous accessories for it. I went with a kmg to save a little money and it has been a very good and reliable grinder. I don’t use it for knife making just machine shop and fabrication work. The only thing I would do different would be to go with a 3hp motor instead of a 2hp.
    David
    I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!

Do a lot of research, I ended up buying a TW90 http://www.traviswuertz.com/?product...-knife-grinder
    I’d suggest Variable speed and 2x72” belt

I’d like a heat treat oven, But I would need to make a lot more knives to justify the cost

6. Default

Here is a link to the ktm grinders. https://beaumontmetalworks.com
    I have never ran the tw90 that ilovekittens mentioned, but that would be outstanding grinder. With it having the ability to run either horizontal or vertical. The 2 reasons I went with the ktm were cost and availability. Whichever grinder you choose go with the 2 x 72 belts and variable speed.
    David

Well I used the same philosophy as I do when purchasing firearms , "Pay once & cry once" Went with a 120v variable speed Burr King and attachments for hollow blade grinding. Thing just shreds metal into dust and the pile keeps growing . Still accommodating a spot in the garage before the rainy weather and have her outside in the back yard under a shade umbrella while enjoying the great weather and natural lighting . Back yard is such a mess right now while im painting the house myself and didn't take any more pics at this time . Home Improvements have taken all of my free time right now and I need to get back on the grind soon,very soon .
    001.jpg002.jpg

Looks good sir. When you get done painting, stop by my house please.
    -Earl

1st time painting a house by my self ....holy shit ! after 18yrs I now realize the importance of painting ones house for preventive maint. is more like every 5 years not every 18-20 years.... Don't wait for me or it will be too late ....lol
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraReef View Post
    Looks good sir. When you get done painting, stop by my house please.

Default The start of my shop messy is a sign of a healthy mind...lol