Thread: Mohammad Ali

Default Mohammad Ali

R.I.P Although not one of the most patriotic of Americans, still w/out a doubt one of if not the greatest boxers of all times. What a champ he was! I got his autograph twice. First time in the early 80's. He was staying in a Manhattan hotel where I was working security. I remember his doing magic tricks. Very obliging. Second time probably 10 yrs. later, different hotel. Might have had the Parkinson's then? Can't remember. Signed his name on a Muslim brochure he had.

2. Default

...never much cared for Ali. In the 60's when I was a kid, he was Cassius Clay, a loudmouth prima donna who won the Heavyweight Title defeating Sonny Liston. I always pulled for his opponents, and was frustrated because he never lost, until Joe Frazier finally beat him in their first fight. Even though I didn't like him, I never denied his consummate skill as a boxer. The other heavyweight fighters in his day couldn't lay a glove on him. His ability to move and dance in the ring will probably never be equaled. His greatest victory IMHO was beating George Foreman and regaining the Title. His greatest fight was his 3rd with Joe Frazier The Thrilla in Manila which I think was the very last 15 round prizefight. Even though Ali won, he was never the same. His influence on boxing might not have been as much as he had on the 1960's American culture. R.I.P.
    A Song bird, often mistaken for a Bird of Prey!

He was without a doubt one of the greatest boxers ever. But he will forever be a draft dodger. He was unwilling to answer the call of duty, but wanted the benefits of living in America. No respect from me. Ed B
    Last edited by eddiebob; 06-04-2016 at 09:55 PM.

Default Obama on Ali

I saw where our President said Ali "fought for us." Not for US as in United States but us as in the people but WHAT people? Hmmm???

I'm pretty sure he means us as in black people. Ali wasnt a typical hippy draft dodger. His contention was: if America isnt going to grant him his freedoms because of his race, why should he fight a war on its behalf? And that, if he was going to fight anyone, it would be his white oppressors. If you consider how black people were treated through the late 60s, its hard to argue against his point. Most veterans, from what Ive read recently online, agreed with him. IDK if I would have gone if I were black, but thousands did. Imagine serving a country that hated, segregated, and oppressed you, and all in the name of freedom? The 60s were a turbulent time.

And Rocky Marciano was the greatest IMO. Ali is a close 2nd, he was just more socially polarizing, which tends to overshadow his actual ranking in Boxing's history.

Pee wee herman woulda kicked his ass
    http://www.stabberssteelconnection.c...ex.php?cPath=1

Got Siska's?

Lotsa Knives-No MoneyUSA