Thread: All the rain brought a few of these bullfrogs into the yard

Default All the rain brought a few of these bullfrogs into the yard

With all the rain we've had, it brought a few of these guys into the yard tonight. I heard them croaking and I found a couple of these guys in the grass. Probably came from the lake right down the street! I let this guy go so he could hopefully continue his life without human intervention and the way nature meant for him to live. Even though the thought of fyring him up did occur to me..but I dismissed it ..to much trouble and I wasn't that hungry anyway

Regards
    CDR

Great pics, Dale. You work for NatGeo on the side?

Haha!! That's real funny Charles ! I wish I did on the side. I could always use the extra cash.....to buy Dalton's !

Do you eat those? I saw a show were they night hunted them

I didn't eat these that came into my yard. But yes , I have went frog gigging many times in my past and we harvested them, skinned them, and dipped them in an egg and milk wash, rolled them in salted and peppered flour and fried them in peanut oil. They can be delicious prepared that way. Kinda tastes like chicken. There isn't that much meat on them tho. They are served in certain restaurants as a delicacy.

But you have to have enough to make it worth all the trouble, and the 2 or 3 frogs in my yard weren't enough to go through all the trouble.
    Most folks just use a powerful flashlight. And, shining it into their eyes kinda hypnotizes them a bit, enough for you to get close enough to either gig them or grab them with your hands. The only real edible part is their legs.

Regards
    CDR

Go ahead Dale! You've been there before! Gigging frogs is a blast. The only thing I don't like about it is the snakes that always seen to be nearby. One time many years ago we were frog gigging around Church Point, La., when my buddy started yelling. A moccasin had struck him and the fangs got caught in his rubber boots. Funny as hell. He was jumping up and down and the snake was flopping around with him. That snake was some kind of pissed. Ed B