Thread: This was hanging out in my backyard this morning

Default This was hanging out in my backyard this morning

My cat was freaking out doing a little dance around a tree in my backyard this morning. I went out to investigate what she was all worked up over and discovered this black rat snake chillin on a tree limb. I left it alone. I don't indiscriminately kill things, only unless they threaten me. I have a couple of sheds and I have seen a rat or two and baby possums, and rabbits and such going under them. So I figure I'll let nature take care of itself. Had to grab a couple of pics tho. Best I can estimate this baby was about 5 ft long. I live out in the county less that 1/4 mile from the Ohio river, lots of different forms of wildlife come into my yard on occasion.
    Regards
    CDR

Thanks for not killing it. Good to have around, like you said.

Very cool!

Sounds like it should eat pretty good around your house, cute little fella. ILK

It was only about 40 degrees on the east coast today. He woulda been one slow moving snake in my backyard.

Cool I like to see all kinds of animals in the wild myself! Good photo also. I was a Pres. of a reptile club that had over 1000 members.
    I'd trust a snake before most politician's! Ted........

Ted, they are cool! I had a boa when I was young. Very nice snake. Wouldn't mind getting another. Thought about an iguana but when 6' you have to dedicate an entire room to it or give free rein. Had a bearded dragon a few yrs. ago. Got to be a PITA what w/ dusting the crickets w/ the powder & all.

Great photos. Looks right at home hanging out in sun.
    " It's not big around, but it's short !"

9. Default

Beautiful animal and very useful to have around. Your ideas on animals match mine. I always wonder why people have this compulsion to kill an animal because it looks ugly to them?