Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2014 JD Build Off, time to go vote

Quote Originally Posted by Charleslee View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what the hell does Lepiso mean anyway???
    Good question

Lepiso is short for Lepisosteus osseus the scientific name for long nosed gar which is what the knife scales are made from. ILK

Thumbs up Gar scales

Very cool! I'm into salt water aquariums now but once when I had fresh water fish, i had a juvenile needle nose gar but he kicked the bucket.
    Again-your knife is beautiful! You are a true craftsman.

Quote Originally Posted by Charleslee View Post
    Very cool! I'm into salt water aquariums now but once when I had fresh water fish, i had a juvenile needle nose gar but he kicked the bucket.
    Again-your knife is beautiful! You are a true craftsman.
    Man you have expensive hobbies. I use to have a reef tank, talk about expensive. In a reef tank the fish are just eye candy, if they get sick you can't treat them because you would kill the coral and you sure as hell can't catch them without tearing the tank apart. The good thing is you didn't have to worry about flushing them because all the little critters would eat them, it did hurt a bit if you spent over $50 bucks for the fish. I don't have any room for a tank now, but my next home it will be a priority to have space for at least 180 gallon reef tank. I just hope I don't have to sell any Daltons to pay for the live rock. ILK

ILK: Mine is what they call a FOWLR (Fish Only w/ Live Rock) as you probably know. 125 gallon. I have a 210 but would have to spend $50 a wk. buying already prepared salt water as opposed to 1/2 of that now so the 210 sits empty. It's not too expensive not being a reef tank although yeah the fish aren't cheap. Twice I've lost most of them due to storms (power outtages) & that really sucked! Equipment isn't exactly cheap either: UV Steralizer, Sump w/ refugium, Protein Skimmer, T-5 Lights, Titanium Heater w/ Controller, etc. Not to mention probably 100 lbs. or more live rock @ $6-$7 bucks a lb. Cost of tank, stand. Shit, I spend a half hr. feeding the SOB's. They eat better than some humans. Total maybe 3 grand or more but worth it I believe. Good luck in the future w/ yours. Email me pics pls.

ILK, Check out this Armadillo scales Damascus Drop-point Hunter from my buddy G Tucker in Eddyville Kentucky. He does nice work. I like the looks and feel of the armadillo scales, and they are surprisingly tough almost armor-like in nature.

I can dig it! Beautiful knife. I always see nice Armadillo scale knives, but never a good source for the armadillo scales. I can see and armadillo knife in my future if I can find some purdy scales. ILK