Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you store your Daltons open or closed?

I store them open so the blade variants are seen.

Default fact fishin

can leaving excess oil on the blade damage it? the reason I ask is this. I have an auto with the d2 steel and satin finish. when I got it I noticed a discolored spot(very small 2mm) and tried to get rid of it with no l luck. maybe just a factory flaw, but I am not the first owner. just thought I might try to pick yalls brains on this issue...
    thanks in advance, matt

3. Default open/closed

I open mine up now and then to let them breathe.............

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mlawell View Post
    can leaving excess oil on the blade damage it? the reason I ask is this. I have an auto with the d2 steel and satin finish. when I got it I noticed a discolored spot(very small 2mm) and tried to get rid of it with no l luck. maybe just a factory flaw, but I am not the first owner. just thought I might try to pick yalls brains on this issue...
    thanks in advance, matt

I've never heard of oil damaging a blade. I've had years of oiling guns leave a hard varnish like residue (WD 40 is particularly bad about this). The varnish is easily removed with a good solvent and some scrubbing with an old toothbrush. I mostly use RemOil now and have not noticed any varnish buildup.

Open, in the netting.

I would have to agree, open for sure. I do have some old school Italians and that's what I was taught and they seen to hold their spring tension.

open-don't know of any knife that wouldn't benefit, or at least have ill effects, from storing it open

Open they look cool,and ready to grab.............
    <--------<<< GREAT ENERGY ~ AWESOME VIBES >>>-------->

I store open in some foam.
    Oiled of course.
    These days I find myself whiping the with Tuf-cloth.
    Balistol is what I use when there is no brass involved.
    emerald

10. Smile

I store all my side openers and OTFs in the open position for the least amount of stress on the knife parts even though its probably minute and either protect them in the netting or in a display case. As far as preserving, I found thin dry oil works well and doesnt produce buildup. Most of my autos, I will coat the blades and let them hang drip dry, but with the linerlocks, friction folders, and fixed blades, Renaissance polish works best for me in full coverage of the knife. If they get boxed for more than 3 months, I will insert a silica gel pack to absorb all moister in the box.
    Hey everyone, it sure is nice to be in with good company again.