Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you store your Daltons open or closed?

1. Default

I got my last batch of boxes from mainstreetpackaging.com . I mostly use the 8x2x7/8 bracelet box. That is the same size the Dalton shop was using a few years back. They were a bit over $20/100. I've got over 650 Daltons plus a few pistols and other items in one gun safe safe. Even using the boxes, its getting a bit crowded.

Yes - we still have the duck. She stays out in the pond with the rest of the mallards most of the day, but she comes up in our back yard to eat.

Default any suggestions?

I have been storing my lone Dalton closed in the net. is this not a good idea? also how often do the pros suggest oiling for safe keepers. I really only oil my users regularly, or as soon as I see some gunk, probly not often enough though. I think this IN climate is less condusive for rusty blades. Its not like I live by the ocean (damn)...

3. Default

If you're keeping it as a non-user, anything that will protect the finish is OK. The mesh is OK, but a box or even an old sock is even better.

A lot of people swear by Ren Wax for long term storage, but I've found that RemOil works just fine.

I've never really had any problems with rust on the blade. I guess it depends on where you live. A light coat of oil isn't a bad idea to be safe. Whenever I come across a silicon moisture absorber packet I toss it in with my knives too. ILK

My modest collection is stored in the open position.
    "Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your reputation; for it is better to be alone than to be in bad company." George Washington

I store all of mine open, but the safe room is getting thin, I like the idea of the display cases stacked up....that would help on the cube. I now have my 10 post for the knuck raffle! Just got a new computer (what a treat, the 02 model is going in the dumpster) and still have to install my camera software so I can post some pics.....its actually another old thing that should be upgraded, my iphone probably takes a better pic.

kk

I store all mine closed in net and boxes. I usually rub the blade down with a little rem-oil before storing them, but I always wipe off the excess.
    Hands break to hone raw energy

I store my modest collection in the open position in display cases.

i store all of them open, and occasionally rotate them from the safe to a display case. i used to fool with italian stilettos, and i just got in the habit of leaving autos open.

For the last four to five years, all new Autos in my collection have been stored open. I have had cases of Al Mars and Paragons New unwrapped in the box from new and never opened. In the last two years I have been thinning out my collection to get rid of multiples of the same knife. I have never experienced weak or misfires in any auto I own due to storage and some of my Als Have not seen Daylight in 25 years. Come to think of it, in the hundreds of various brand automatics I have owned, I have never had a failure with an auto that was not in need of a cleaning from abuse or laziness!