Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you store your Daltons open or closed?

1. Default Do you store your Daltons open or closed?

what are opinions on this??

I store them open, however the coil springs in modern autos can be stored closed with no ill affects. I just like the idea that the spring is not under any load, even if it doesn't have a significant benefit...Al

Sounds like this would make a good poll. I store mine open also because most are displayed. I've read over and over that for the more modern one's it doesn't really matter. I have a couple leaf spring auto's that don't open like they use too though. ILK

I store mine closed because I keep them in a knife bag from benchmade. My plan though is to make a display case built into the wall of the basement to display them. Someday...

5. Default

The general consensus over the years has been that storing coil spring autos closed will not damage or weaken the spring.

I store the majority of mine in bracelet boxes that are around 9 inches long. I store them open when I can, but close them if they won't fit in the box open. The bracelet boxes can be stacked and allow me to store more knives in a given space.

Sure beats my original method of stacking them up in the cupboard like kindling. I do like the blue net in general to keep them safe and wouldn't mind getting more for my other non-dalton knives.

I store all of my Daltons open, in sets of four inside foam padded pistol cases in my safe. Does that sound weird? ha ha ha

always in the open position.

9. Default

New or old, coil or leaf, all my knives are stored open.

It has absolutely NOTHING to do with preserving spring tension, they'll be fine either way, I just want to be able to see the whole knife.

There IS, one advantage to storing open. You can easily spot any changes in the blade finish, indicating the beginingstages of RUST!

I try to oil my knives on a regular basis, but living only 1/2 from the ocean, sometimes, certain blades, need extra care. Those knives, are in a display on my wall, easy to see daily. As soon as I see this one knife in perticular lose it's shine, (an Italian Damascus) I know I have to oil it, and the other ones, again. IF, they were stored closed, even though I saw them every day, by the time I got around to oiling them with the rest of my collection, they would already have been ruined.
    If it's not fun, why do it?

Markk, Where did you get your boxes? Safe space iis really at a premium around my house and that sounds like a good idea.

PS Do you still have the pet duck?

Jay
    and the road goes on forever.....