Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Okay why does the shy guy have to start this off?

Default Okay why does the shy guy have to start this off?

My name is Kirk, I am a Daltonoholic. I've lived in the Cleveland Ohio area most of my life. My fascination with auto knives began very early probably from watching old street gang movies like the Warriors. The first auto I ever owned I was around 10 or so (my cousin found it on the railroad tracks and I traded him something for it) that was short lived because my older brother took it away from me and gave it to one of his friends. Bastard!

Every time I went to a gun or knife show I always looked for Auto's. Back then the dealers had them hidden under the tables and you had to convince them you were not a cop.

My first Dalton was a Scout (pre98?). I ran into an old high school friend at a show and he showed me the Scout he bought. I told him he had to show me the exact table he bought that from. The dealer noticed I was left handed and told me he also had some lefties in the same model. I was so excited I just stuck the knife in my pocket and skedadled. When I returned home I took it out of the net and noticed he gave me a righty. I didn't care much, the knife kicks like a mule.

Years later (2005) I quit my job as a bricklayer and decided to go to college full time. One day playing on the internet, I realized how accessible automatic knives were. Came across PVK and seen the Dalton Razor for sale. Being a poor middle aged college kid, I decided I could buy a new Dalton every month or so by selling my plasma, stained glass, and doing a few bricklaying side jobs. Around the same time I came across the Dalton forum on KF. I pretty much read back to the original post there.

Today I own around 60 or so different Dalton models, working full time in the medical field (no being sent home for rain days, cold days, or lack of work) and no longer whoreing my plasma out. Thank you for your time I feel much better now. ILK
    Last edited by ilovekittens; 02-20-2009 at 12:38 AM.

2. Default

that is the best intro for a newbie I have ever seen!!!
    excellent work neighbormonster

Hi Kirk!
    My name is Jim and I'm a Daltonoholic! I'm from the Columbus area and have always loved knives as well. I am relatively new to Daltons having gotten my first one only a couple of years ago. A knife dealer I know had gotten a red guardian angel in on a trade and made the mistake of showing it to me. It was the sweetest auto I had ever held and was about as perfect as it could get. It took me about a year to talk him out of it but he finally relented to my constant badgering and pleading and sold it to me. since then, I have focused most of my collection on Daltons. I still get into other knives such as Bark Rivers and WW1 WWII bayonets but Daltons are my favorite. I look for them first when I go to gun shows. Speaking of which, is it just me or has there been a show almost every weekend for months? Several new promoters around as well.

Still on the hunt for a GA in G10 and a silver regular model and I know I'll have to be patient.
    Great forum!

P.S. how many Ohioans do we have here?
    Last edited by Woodstock; 02-20-2009 at 12:40 AM.

Nice to meet you Mr. Stock. There are quite a few collectors/dealers in Ohio. I believe mndart lives in your area. He may even be able to eventually help you out with those GA's. I know he hits quite a bit of the shows. devil ILK

5. Default

Hello all,
    I am also a Dalton junkie, First on was a Hunter tanto and I do miss her.
    Glad to see this place up and thank you Kirk and everyone involved. Well it is PBR time so I must be off.

-jk
    -J. Knight

Mndart and I have met on several occasions. He is a top notch guy and has helped me out with his knowledge of Daltons. It's guys like him that make Dalton collecting that much more fun and will make this forum great.

HEY!! This thread is for people from Ohio. What is this Atlantonian doing here?
    Good to see ya here Woodstock. We need to grab a java at the Caribou soon.

Just waiting around for my Mo Hawk.

Oh. Ohio people... I started a community for us. Come on in.
    Last edited by mndart; 02-20-2009 at 10:01 PM.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mndart View Post
    HEY!! This thread is for people from Ohio. What is this Atlantonian doing here?
    Good to see ya here Woodstock. We need to grab a java at the Caribou soon.

Just waiting around for my Mo Hawk.

Oh. Ohio people... I started a community for us. Come on in.
    sorry for dropping a turd in the pool........

-j
    -J. Knight

MNDart-
    sure, whenever you want. i hope you're not working too hard.
    Are you heading to the gun show at the fairgrounds this weekend? Or the Vets show next weekend? Went to the Westland show last weekend but no Daltons to be seen. Pretty depressing.
    Last edited by Woodstock; 02-21-2009 at 01:20 AM.

Default Sand-bagger

Kirk-- you are much too modest about your work with stainded glass -- my Dalton Devil-Head glass block with inserted Christmas lights that you created years ago still stands in the thresh-hold of my modest hovel to greet the intrepid,infrequent visitor -- no wonder even the mailman won't return! your pal,Dave.
    Last edited by Moficky; 02-24-2009 at 08:49 PM.