Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shotguns

Default Shotguns

Which shotguns do you guys own and your opinion. Here are mine:

1) 20 gauge Mossberg pump. Not a real pretty gun but functional as hell.

2) 20 gauge Benelli Montefeltro. Beautiful gun, functions flawlessly, has more recoil then I care for. Rarely do I use this gun.

3) 12 gauge Belgian Browning A-5 (1958). Very good condition, seldom used.

4) .410 H&R single shot. This was my grandfathers gun. I had it reblued and refinished. Used as a rabbit gun and to shoot snakes.

Hunting rabbits behind Beagles is about as much fun as a person can legally have. One time I was on the four wheeler riding around the pond looking for moccasins. I saw one about 1' long near the edge of the pond and shot at him. I missed, blew him out of the water, and the little bastard came back towards me. Don't ever think that moccasins aren't very aggressive! Ed B
    Last edited by eddiebob; 07-11-2012 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Double negative

Default #5

Forgot about this one:

5) 12 gauge Saiga (Russian AK style riot gun). BMF and a blast to shoot!

Been looking at a Beretta or one of the new Browning A-5s. Probably go with the Browning, black/black synthetic stock. Ed B

great thread... i walked around my house and collected the shotguns i placed in different rooms. 5 in total wtf was i thinking. found one behind a stack of blankets and 2 carry-ons.

here the list.

H&K FP6 (40621CF) goofy carbon fiber finish... standard pump action, light weight, recoils smooth even with ouncers.

FNH USA Tactical Police Shotgun... hits likes a fucken mule... it has a 4 position collapsible stock with NO padding... after a few shells you start feeling abused... its obviously made for breaching in combination with body armor.

2 Nighthawk Tac 12"... love these ladies, bought them with consecutive sn... fde and od... very smooth action, ported for his and her comfort... they rack flawlessly... the rubber pump and pistol grip are a bit too sticky... catch on everything.

Beretta DT10 Sporting Clay.. lovely piece, forgot i even had it... been years with i shot clays... perfectly balanced and looks amazing...scroll work is very impressive.

forgot to mention, all the above are 12 gauge. not really into shooting shotguns at the range. though nothing get them wetter then a 12gauge... correction, autos get them pretty wet as well!!
    Last edited by Diablito; 07-13-2012 at 03:18 AM.

All I have left in shotguns is my Remington 870 Tactical in all black Nitride.. It will hurt you..lol
    " It's not big around, but it's short !"

5. Default

I'm much more into rifles than shotguns, but have a few of them. Don't shoot them much since I don't duck hunt and invites to dove hunts are few and far between.

Remington 11-87 Premier Left handed - my favorite. I do at least carry this one a bit in the woods while making funny sounds with a turkey call. Not sure that I call it turkey hunting since I've only gotten one close enough one time - and it was a hen. Pretty sure I sound like a very ugly turkey.

Beretta S56 O/U - this was my favorite bird gun before I picked up the 11-87

Ithaca 37 pump - my first "full sized" shotgun.

Ithaca 37 Cruiser - pistol grip and 18" barrel with a flashlight mounted on the barrel - my home protection shotgun.

LC Smith Field Grade double - it followed me home from a gun show one day.

AH Fox Sterlingworth double - a birthday gift from my Dad. I'm going to get around to shooting it one day.

Remington double - tried dove hunting with it one time - couldn't hit anything.

Ithaca 500 O/U - inherited from my Dad. He and I used to fight over it when we went hunting.

Winchester M59 Winlite auto - they don't get much lighter than this.

Browning A5 (Japanese) - inherited from my Dad.

Ed - I thought the Benelli's were supposed to be very light recoiling? That's what I've heard the guys going dove hunting down in Argentina were using.

Default Benelli

Hey Mark, the Benelli 20 gauge I have is a Montefeltro which is supposed to be a little lighter than their other 20s. The percieved recoil is about the same as a 20 gauge pump. Kind of disappointing for a $1000+ shotgun. The Browning A-5 is the softest shooting gun out of my bunch. Just have to be sure and set the rings up correctly. I once had a Browning BPS (pump) and got rid of it because of the kick. Only gun I have ever gotten rid of. If you are thinking about a Benelli I would suggest shooting one before buying. Some people love 'em. Ed B

Got an old Parker, 10 Ga Double barrel. It has damascus barrels too! The craftsmanship on this very old shotgun is unbelieveable, considering it was made in the late 1800's. Have a few pumps too, but not worth mentioning.
    and the road goes on forever.....

Default Damascus

Quote Originally Posted by pete1958 View Post
    Got an old Parker, 10 Ga Double barrel. It has damascus barrels too! The craftsmanship on this very old shotgun is unbelieveable, considering it was made in the late 1800's. Have a few pumps too, but not worth mentioning.
    I bet that baby is worth a few coins. I didn't realize they ever made any type of gun with damascus. Of course when you play on the bottom end you never know whats on top! Ed B

Quote Originally Posted by MarkK View Post
    Winchester M59 Winlite auto - they don't get much lighter than this.
    I inherited a winlite from my dad. He used to use it when we went hunting. These shotguns are whispery lite! Ever hear of replacement barrels? I'd like to get one for trap.

I am also more into rifles but my first gun was a Mossberg 500 that I bought with money I earned from my paper route when I was a kid. Still shoots great for me? I get a chuckle when I go pheasant hunting with a buddy and his friends give me weird looks when I pull it out of its case while they all have fancy Bennellis and the like. Much to their dsimay, I kill as many as them!

I sold my fanciest shotgun a year ago. A late 60s (salt era) Browning Superposed 20 gauge. This thing was so pretty that was terrified of taking it in the field for fear of scratching it. So it sat and I finally sold it. I should have framed it and hung it on the wall.

Right now I just have the Mossberg and a Winchester Winlite and a Winchester 1200 Defender.

10. Default

Ed - I don't really plan on picking up any more scatterguns, as I don't shoot them enough to justify another. The 11-87 does most everything I need to do. Of course, never can tell what might follow me home from a gun show. ;-)

Jay - Parkers are great shotguns. You are aware that it is unsafe to shoot smokeless loads in Damascus Barrels, aren't you?

Woodstock - I have never looked for Winlite barrels, but I'd bet they are not easy to find. Unfortunately you can't thread the barrel for an internal choke or add an external choke ( ie: Polychoke or Cutts Compensator) since the Winlite barrel is a thin steel tube wrapped in fiberglass.