Thread: Historic EDC

Default Historic EDC

Here is a pre-1950 West African sword blade. It is hand forged. I believe the tribal affiliation is Massai. The sickle-like curve of the blade is intended to
    be able to get around the corner of a hand-held shield which might block a straighter blade. I got it as you see it--the original handle was long gone and I have not had another one made. I have included a yard sick the first picture to provide a sense of scale; the second picture is a closer look at the tip of the blade and the third picture is a closer look at the tang-end.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Interesting piece. Looks like it could inflict some serious damage...Al

3. Default

That is an interesting piece, I think those grooves make the blade more spring like and help prevent the blade from cracking, not sure just a guess. Boy the torque on the tip from a swing would land an extremely high pounds per square inch impalement. I can see how a very thin quick handling spiked like sickle would be very deadly considering body armor of weaved fiber and beads. Pair this up against a spiked tomahawk and this has more reach with an edge inside. Ouch!
    I like contrasting this to a straight blade sword and tomahawk, too bad I can see this type weapon and techniques used in spar. Its deffinatly different.
    Aaron