Thread: Craft Beer

1. Default Craft Beer

I was on the road most of the day. And there was a ten mile back up on this single lane road that took two hours to dive through. Turns out it was a craft beer festival and looking back I should have just went to it because when I finally made it to my second stop, I found out they were already closed. Too bad it would have put me twelve miles farther away or I would have done a U-turn.

But ironicly, I have been doing a little taste testing of my own here lately having several beer and wine super stores nearby. So I decided to go shopping for beer already having several things in mind 'the Korbinian' and mostly to pick up a few wild cards in the small offerings of chocolate stouts out there. I had a Youngs Double Chocolate and allthough it had a rough afterfollowing taste of cold dirty creek water, the first chocolate note was very good and interesting and complex. I would have never known how dam good that would have been, it works and was driven to explore this out.

On the weekends I like to have an occational rich Porter or Stout with dinner but other than that rarely.
    I seem to like the heavy flavorful dark Stouts with the oaty bready flavors. I dont care for Pilsners or Pale Ales its like biting into a sharp lemon peel.

Well, I have done well with my pickings and have three solid winners I'm sticking with for now. Mind you these go really good with food and after food.
    So here are my favorites so far if you can find them:

Wiehenstaphaner - Korbinian
    It is classed a dopplebock or " doublebock " but it tastes like a rich complex stout to me. This Korbinian is exceptional. I didn't care for their other offering I tried so be warned. Says here in find print on the back - Weihenstepan since 1040- the world's oldest brewery. Brewed in Freising Germany and brewed under the purity law of 1516, 7.5% Alc/vol. This is one of those big bottles 1 pint .9 fl oz I dont know if its also offered in a smaller bottle but I dont think so. BTW its got a pretty cool label too, german crests and bishop sanctifing.

Bison - Chocolate Stout
    Says its USDA organic. Rich and roasty and cocoa powder added to the mash. 2005 Silver Medal Winner at the Great American Beer Festival for Foreign Style Stout. 5% Alc/vol. These do come in 12 oz bottles. Brewed in Ukiah, California but seem to want to point out on the front it was estabished in Berkeley CA but who cares.

Otter Creek - Stovepipe Porter
    Dark roasted malts and American hops, topped with a thick mocha head. Hands down you will be impressed. Brewed in Middlebury Vermont. These also come in 12 oz bottles. There is no listing for Alc content but seems like it should be around the 4-5%.

The last two interchange very well, I started with the Bison and finished with the Otter Creek.

Aaron

I love craft beer, we have a family bar...and I always have some great craft beer on draft. Currently three Floyd's alpha king, rogue black ipa, bells oberon and left hand milk stout. I'm constantly rotating American Craft, next up is Stones ruination. I wish I knew more about the brewery's that distribute in your home state (VA...right?), if you like the stouts and you have great divide beers, try the Yeti (any of them). Stick to the USA beers Aaron! If you want to do any beer trading, send me a message, I'm sure VA has a lot of craft beers I can't get in Indiana.

Kk

Twizzler, Thanks for the report. The Korbinian sounds like a winner...C

Saranac makes a decent stout...oatmeal i think. Sam adams does a good double bock, and their holiday porter is damn good (avail in the winter sampler). Otter creek is great beer. Had a magic hat summer sampler last week: 2 old flavors (#9 & blind faith) & 2 new (elderberry & pistil). The elderberry was too fruity for my taste, but the pistil (a dandelion beer) was amazing. Been thinking of trying to order a case directly so i dont have to do another sampler, but havent called yet

5. Default

Hey guys I'm going to look those up and see if I can get it. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Karson yes VA. If you find something you want me to find in VA let me know.
    I didn't know Snarnak may anything other than non alcoholic beer. On the list.

On the suggestion side start looking as Dogfish brewery a Delaware brewer and resturant. Click brews. I can tell you I remember the resturant from when I was a kid going to the beach and they had a pretty good size bar. They dabbled in brewing their own and have not expanded as much as they should have, if I could buy stock in them I would. They have one resturant near me so I can taste test and that is what really hooked me into the craft beers.
    I'm trying to get my hands on this one super exceptional brewing but it was an occational specialty brew long out. Hoping for another batch to be made and I'm going to get a case. Bitches Brew- note Miles Davis is so over-rated and does nothing for me. I'd put up John Mclaughlin or Jimmy Smith up against his prolog anyday. But this brew is right on.

Second is a regular offering Sazon De Etre. A strong sweet raison start and very complex the rest of the way hard to describe going several dirrections at once, must try will trick your brain out.

Chicory Stout - OK, better with food not what I was after but worth trying, wierd ingrediants.

90 minute IPA- is very very very good

World Wide Stout - very good but so strong it kicks you like a mule, I couldn't finish my 10 oz siffer glass with my meal, I could but I was driving.

Wanting to try the Badonka Dunkle next
    120 minute IPA when it is offered.

I didn't care for the two on the left too much, that perticular Yeti was too sweet, the Rouge didn't fair that well unremarkable.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Twizzler; 07-01-2012 at 06:45 PM.

A little off topic. Funny that you should mention John McLaughlin. I've been listening to his music since the early 70s. Saw The original Mahavishnu Orchestra with Jeff Beck as backup in Houston in '74 or '75. Ed B

As of late I find I really like Guinness Stout. I must be old school, like that Guinness on tap from a good Irish pub with a fresh tap...Al

PS You find a craft beer like GS and I'll surely give it at test run.

Nice picture Aaron, the rogue chocolate stout is good...the double chocolate is also very good.. If you need a little more pop. I have 4 bottles of this years 120 minute, only one world wide stou both are 15-20% abv!! Really want a bitches brew, never could find that, also dying to try the 75 minute....dogfish no longer distributes in IN, but they do in KY....so I get my fair share since I'm so close

As for John McLaughlin - he rocks, Mahavishna was some of the best fusion, wish I would of been old enough to see them live - I have a pretty complete vynl collection of those guys

Kk

9. Default

Al I haven't had a Guiness in a long while so I'd have to resample to find you a match, some of the other guys might have a quicker offering.

Karson - Dogfish, name the ones and how many and when available I'll send you a PM and Email and same with anyone else.

Eddie I envy you thats when the best fusion and music was happening. I've got a good collection going too of the Vishnu. I think I'm going to put on Birds of Fire right yes! Good music - that deserves a thread all its own I have some catologed I just might have to post.

Aaron