Thread: Dalton Combat Logo

Default Dalton Combat Logo

Rob says on the Dalton Combat site his logo comes from a Special Forces patch from Viet Nam. Quite a tribute. If you ever want to read a good book about the war read this one: "A Rumor of War" by Philip Caputo. Absolutely gut wrenching and leaves the question of why still unanswered. Ed B

I beleive the Dalton Logo was fashioned after an ARVN SF Unit.-- I was In a Reactionary Air Assault Unit & one of our tasks was to train ARVN, & CIDG units for Helicopter Combat Assault missions. I remember one of the South Vietnamese units having that exact flash,( Leaping Tiger across Parachute)circa. '67-'68
    Last edited by rusty37874; 04-08-2012 at 01:42 PM.

De Oppresso Liber

3. Default

Yes - the insignia is the one that was used by the ARVN SF - Luc Luong Dac Biet. Google that and you will find lots of info, but most is not in English.

I have a small collection of Vietnam era patches. Here is a pic of one that resembles the logo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    and the road goes on forever.....

Quote Originally Posted by pete1958 View Post
    I have a small collection of Vietnam era patches. Here is a pic of one that resembles the logo.
    Pete, That is the exact patch I was talking about, I pulled out some of my pictures, & I think that is the 81ST Biet ARVN Airborne flash, I could be wrong about the unit,as we had more than one stick come through at the same time, But I have the 81st marked.

De Oppresso Liber

Default Vietnamese Special Forces

They borrowed the 3 lightning bolts and the teal color from US Army Special Forces patch, obviously. Most of those patches were either woven silk, or printed. Be careful when buying ANY militaria, especially rarer Vietnam era patches. Many you see today are fakes or reproductions, though there WERE handmade versions as well. One of my all-time favorite insignias, along with the South Vietnamese Ranger logo with the cat's face.