Thread: Boy Scout Knife

Default Boy Scout Knife

My old boy scout knife. Best guess would be it is 45 years old. I've been working on it (slowly) about a month. The blade is stamped 'Ulster' which I am guessing is New York. Something different. Ed B
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very cool. Ulster County NY is correct. I'm thinking Schrade, but I have to check as there have been several manufacturers that produced BS knives over the years. I saw an old German BS auto made by Hubertus once as well. I have an old one in the garage that needs some work. Perhaps this will be my inspiration to get busy...Al

Given a little time I think I can have this one looking pretty good. I saw some poorly restored ones for sale recently selling for $150. Al, if you do find anything out about Ulster/Schrade I would be interested to know. Thanks, Ed B

Quote Originally Posted by eddiebob View Post
    My old boy scout knife. Best guess would be it is 45 years old. I've been working on it (slowly) about a month. The blade is stamped 'Ulster' which I am guessing is New York. Something different. Ed B
    When your done with yours I'll send you mine
    I knew I had that same knife as a youngin', dug threw my toolbox a bit and low 'n' behold I still have it. Never was a boy scout, I think I found it in the woods probably over 30 years ago ILK
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Scout Knife Repair

I would be more than happy to help with the knife. Please remember I work rather slow. But it is a labor of love. Let me know if you want want a little help with it. Ed B

I'm just foolin' I kind of like the aged look myself. Thanks for the offer though. ILK

Quote Originally Posted by Honch0 View Post
    Very cool. Ulster County NY is correct. I'm thinking Schrade, but I have to check as there have been several manufacturers that produced BS knives over the years. I saw an old German BS auto made by Hubertus once as well. I have an old one in the garage that needs some work. Perhaps this will be my inspiration to get busy...Al
    I have a cabin up in the Hudson Valley in Ulster County NY, so I have always had an interest in NY knife manufacturers. Here is what I dug up:

Ulster Cutlery Company was established in Ellenville NY in 1871. In 1876 Dwight Devine took over the operation of the company and renamed the company ULSTER KNIFE COMPANY. He remained head of the firm until his death in 1933 and continually operated by his sons until majority interest was sold to Albert and Henry Baer who at that time has ownership interest in Camillus Cutlery. In 1923, Ulster Cutlery Company made their first Official Boys Scout knife. There are several BSA knife pattern made. In 1926 the pattern start showing with a long (oversized screwdriver) and three-piece can opener and lined (grooved) bolsters. Ulster ceased production of Boys Scout Knives in 1940.

In 1941, Albert M. Baer purchased the Ulster Knife Company (which was founded in Ellenville, New York, in the 1870s) and merged it with the Imperial Knife Company and designated this new business as the Imperial Knife Associated Companies, to produce knives for the military. Albert's brother, Henry Baer, was the company's first president and the namesake for Schrade's "Uncle Henry" line of knives.[1]

Default History

Very interesting. Thanks for the history lesson associated with 'Ulster'. Ed B