Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to step up the game a little

Default Time to step up the game a little

I sick of taking crappy knife pics. I'm going to make my own light box. Anyone have any tips or links to any good plans? What is a good size as far as dimensions? I need some good pointers. ILK

I tried the ''build your own box'' method, and by the time I was done with the lighting and all, it just wasn't worth the time and effort. I checked out B&H Photo here in the city, and bought a whole setup for under $150.00. High quality lights, with a collapsible tent that came with three different backgrounds.
    They have a website, and here's the link:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...arch&Q=*&bhs=t

Honcho did the same thing after I got mine, and he managed to get the whole setup for under 100.00.

I have the goods now, just need to learn about the lighting

Good luck my friend,

Jimbo
    http://www.daltonforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3&dateline=1235696664

Where do you learn about lighting techniques?

4. Default

I recall seeing light tents in the Walmart photo section a year of so ago. Don't know if they still have them.

The B&H lights are great, but you can get by with several desk lamps with 5000 degree (daylight) spiral fluorescent bulbs. The 5000 degree bulbs can be purchased in any large department store or home building store.

I have a commercial light tent and have made a number of different light tents. My favorite is still a box I made with small aluminum angle that is covered with white fluorescent lens material (check Lowes, etc in their lighting dept - about 2'x4' sheets).

I learned by the trial and error method (mostly error). There are some some tutorials on the internet - try googling light tent, etc.

Make sure you're using a tripod and a remote trigger to keep the camera perfectly still.

Well, I tried to DIY one. Not to impressed with the results, must be the camera. I bought two five hundred watt potable work lights Still doesn't seem like enough light. I like my pics just using the flash on the camera better. Top pic is using a flash, bottom pic is using my DIY lightbox. I know it's trial and error, but I still thought the light box pics would of turned out better. I'm about ready to take this light box out back and ILK

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MarkK; 02-23-2009 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Inserting image - experiment

6. Default

You need to reset the white balance on your camera for the light you're using. Looks like your work lamps may be incandescent or sodium - I think those are the two that give yellow light. Check your camera manual. My old G2 has a mode where it will measure the type of light and set the white balance. Otherwise, you can set for daylight, incandescent, fluorescent, etc.

I still like to use the 5000 degree daylight bulbs. You don't need 500 watt bulbs. I use 3 bulbs that are equivalent to 75 Watts each for most of my pics. Set your camera to aperture priority and set the aperture to F8. You must use a tripod, as the small aperture will require a slower shutter speed.

The flash looks better because the flash is very close to daylight (5000 degrees). Its generally hard to get rid of glare with the flash unless you use a diffuser.

Damn! I'm going to have to break out my user manual to see if my camera has all those options. Thanks for the info, it's golden, I figured the camera just adjusted itself to different light. I did buy a tripod, no remote clicker though. I'm hoping I can just set the timer and back away. ILK

8. Default

The timer will work fine Kirk. Its just not as convenient as a remote. My G2 came with a wireless remote and I bought a wired remote release for my 20D.

You also need a light tent that transmits a reasonable amount of light. The fluorescent diffuser sheets do well. White sheets (used in a lot of homemade tents) do not let as much light through.

I picked up a 30" light tent from ebay for around $20 a few years ago. Do a search, I'm sure you will find something that suits you...Al

Lookin' a little better, by using the different suggested camera settings. ILK
    Attached Images Attached Images